How Can You Change a Child’s Last Name in Arizona?

Changing a Child’s Last Name in Arizona

There are times when a parent wants to change their child’s last name. For example, a wife who wishes to return to her maiden name after a divorce may want to have the child’s last name changed or if a parent establishes paternity of a child born out of wedlock a father may wish to change the child’s last name.

How Can You Change a Child's Last Name in Arizona?

How Can You Change a Child’s Last Name in Arizona?

If the parents are in agreement, they may file for a name change with the court. If the parents disagree, they are entitled to a trial to present evidence supporting their reasons for wanting the name change or objecting to the proposed name change. The judge will then determine whether a name change is in the child’s best interests.

Please feel free to read a more in-depth analysis of the Arizona Court Appeals decision in the Petrocelli v. Anderson case in which the appellate court set forth the specific factors a trial court should consider when determining if a name change is in a child’s best interests.

Contact Our Scottsdale Arizona Child Custody Attorneys

Contact us today or call us at (480)947-4339 to schedule your consultation with one of our Scottsdale and Phoenix Arizona Child Custody Attorneys regarding child custody issues, the divorce process or any other Arizona family law matter.