What Happens If A Parent Wants to Move Out of State With A Child From Arizona?

Learn About a Parent Moving Out of State With a Child From Arizona From Our Arizona Licensed Attorney Chris Hildebrand of Hildebrand Law, PC.

U.S. News and World Report Best Law Firms ArizonaA parent seeking to move the children more than one hundred (100) miles from the other parent must give the nonmoving parent notice of the intention to relocate at least sixty (60) days before the proposed move, according to Arizona Revised Statute Section 25-408.

However, there are certain situations when the provisions of Arizona Revised State Section 25-408 do not apply and, therefore, a notice of intent to relocate with the child is not required.  You should read our summary of the Arizona Court of Appeals’ decision in the Buencamino v. Noftsinger case for more information about when A.R.S. 25-408 does not apply.

During that sixty (60) day period, the non-moving spouse may petition the court for an injunction to prohibit the other parent from moving the children. There are certain statutory exceptions that, if applicable to your particular case, may allow a parent to make progress with the parties’ children before the expiration of the sixty (60) day notice.


One tactic some parents have used to circumvent the one hundred mile rule, which is contained in Arizona Revised Statute Section 25-408, is to make multiple moves that are all less than the one hundred mile threshold but cumulatively (i.e., move after move) is more than one hundred miles; all without needing the permission of the court.

Hildebrand Law, PC | Voted Best of Our Valley in Arizona Foothills Magazine.

You should read our summary of the Arizona Court of Appeals’ decision in the Thompson v. Thompson case for more information regarding that issue.

It is also important to note that the move away statute (i.e., A.R.S. 25-408) provides a remedy to stop a child’s relocation to another state.  Others, such as grandparents, who have court ordered parenting time with the kids cannot use A.R.S. 25-408 to attempt to prevent a parent from relocating a child out of the state of Arizona.

You should read our summary of the Arizona Court of Appeals’ decision in the Sheehan v. Flower case in which the Court of Appeals concluded a grandparent cannot use the remedies in A.R.S. 25-408 to prevent a parent from relocating his or her grandchild out of Arizona.

The Arizona Court of Appeals in the case of Murray v. Murray held that the requirements of Arizona Revised Statute Section 24-411, which prevents a court from modifying child custody orders within a year the last order was issued, prevents a parent from even seeking to relocate with his or her children within twelve months of the entry of the last child custody order.

What Happens if a Parent Wants to Move Out of State With a Child?

Contact Our Scottsdale Arizona Child Custody Attorneys

Contact us today or call us at (480)305-8300 to schedule your consultation with one of our Scottsdale Arizona Child Custody Attorneys regarding child custody issues, the divorce process or any other Arizona family law matter.

More Articles About Child Custody in Arizona


Chris Hildebrand

Chris Hildebrand

Chris Hildebrand wrote the information on this page about what happens when a parent wants to move out of state with a child in Arizona to ensure everyone has access to information about child relocation laws in Arizona. Chris is a family law attorney at Hildebrand Law, PC. He has over 24 years of Arizona family law experience and has received multiple awards, including US News and World Report “Top Arizona Divorce Attorneys”, Phoenix Magazine “Top Divorce Law Firms”, and Arizona Foothills Magazine “Best of the Valley” award. He believes the policies and procedures he uses to get his clients through a child custody case should all be guided by the principles of honesty, integrity, and actually caring about what his clients are going through.