Skip to Content
Hildebrand Law, P.C. mobile logo

Custody of a Child in an Arizona Dependency Case

Thu 18th Oct, 2018 Arizona Child Custody Laws

The State of Arizona through the Arizona Department of Child Safety may take custody of a child if, after their investigation, they determine a child is a dependent child.

A parent may either voluntarily give custody of his or her child to the state as a dependent child or the State of Arizona may obtain emergency custody of the child or obtain custody after filing a dependency petition with the juvenile court in the county in which the child resides with a parent.

A child is considered to be a dependent child if evidence suggests that the child’s parents are guilty of abusing the child or neglecting the child by not providing for the child’s basic needs.

Once a child is taken into custody, the state has several options regarding placement of that child with a family member or placement of the child in a foster home.

Regardless of where the children are placed, the parents of the child are offered services to determine if they can be rehabilitated to the extent necessary to allow them to regain custody of their children.

If those services are not successful, the state may proceed to termination the parents’ parental rights at which time the children would be eligible to be adopted by the foster parents or another family seeking to adopt a child.

U.S. News and World Report Votes Hildebrand Law, PC Best Law Firms for 2020 2021 2022 2023

A Relative Obtaining Custody of a Child in a Dependency Case in Arizona

If you have a relative whose children are the subject of a dependency case in Arizona, you may want to seek custody of the children.

Many times a child’s grandparent or aunt or uncle steps in to obtain custody of the children.

There are several things you can do to obtain custody of your relative’s children in a dependency case in Arizona.

During the case, you can request to take temporary physical custody of the child.

You can also ask to be appointed as the children’s temporary and, eventually, permanent guardian. Lastly, you may seek to adopt the child in the event the parents’ rights are terminated in the dependency case.

You will be required to undergo a home study to ensure you are fit to care for the children.

You should also be aware that relatives of a child in a dependency case have a preference for placement in Arizona dependency case.

If you have questions about how to get custody of a child in a dependency case in Arizona, you should seriously consider contacting the attorneys at Hildebrand Law, PC. Our Arizona child custody and family law attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience successfully representing clients in child custody and family law cases.

Our family law firm has earned numerous awards such as US News and World Reports Best Arizona Family Law Firm, US News and World Report Best Divorce Attorneys, “Best of the Valley” by Arizona Foothills readers, and “Best Arizona Divorce Law Firms” by North Scottsdale Magazine.

Call us today at (480)305-8300 or reach out to us through our appointment scheduling form to schedule your personalized consultation and turn your Arizona child custody or family law case around today.

Contact Form

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

More Articles About Child Custody in Arizona