Home State Custody Jurisdiction When Child Relocated to Arizona
Parents need to understand home state custody jurisdiction when a child is relocated to Arizona.
It is not unusual for a parent who has legal custody of a child from another state to move to Arizona with their child.
Does the question become which state court has home state child custody jurisdiction when a child relocated to Arizona with his or her parent?
The answer to this question is important if a parent seeks to modify that child custody order in an Arizona court.
The Arizona Court of Appeals in the published case of Prouty vs. Hughes answered that question for us.
Mother, in that case, was awarded sole custody of the parties’ child from a court in Illinois where the mother and child resided.
Mother subsequently relocated with the child from Illinois to Arizona.
Mother’s boyfriend, Mr. Hughes, filed but did not register the Illinois child custody orders in Arizona when he sought and obtained emergency custody of Mother’s child.
The child’s biological father, Mr. Kafka, subsequently filed his own motion in Arizona to modify the Illinois child custody orders.
During the hearing on the natural father’s motion to modify the Illinois child custody order, the Arizona judge assigned to the case raised concerns that the Illinois child custody orders were not properly registered in Arizona under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act.
The child’s natural father, thereafter, registered the Illinois child custody orders in Arizona.
When that occurred, Mother fled back to Illinois with the children.
The Arizona court then issued child custody orders awarding Father custody of the parties’ daughter and issuing a warrant for the return of the child to father.
Mother filed for a restraining order on behalf of the child’s daughter against her father and argued, in the Illinois court, the Arizona court did not have jurisdiction to issue its child custody orders because she only lived sporadically in Arizona and because the Illinois court order was not properly domesticated in Arizona.
Both the Illinois court and the Arizona court made findings that Arizona was the home state of the child and properly executed jurisdiction to modify the Illinois child custody orders.
Registration of Out of State Order Not Required to Modify Child Custody Orders
The Arizona Court of Appeals concluded that the Illinois child custody orders were not properly registered under the Uniform
Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (i.e., “UCCJEA”) in Arizona before the Arizona judge modified the Illinois child custody orders.
The next question became whether failing to properly register the Illinois child custody orders rendered the trial judge’s orders modify those orders void.
The Arizona Court of Appeals concluded that the provisions of the UCCJEA do not require a foreign state’s child custody order be properly registered in Arizona before an Arizona judge may modify those child custody orders assuming Arizona would otherwise have jurisdiction under the UCCJEA to modify those orders.
Arizona, likewise, may exercise child custody jurisdiction to modify another state’s child custody orders if either (1) the other state has determined it no longer should have child custody jurisdiction or (2) a court in Arizona determine that neither parent nor the child continues to live in the other state.
If you have questions about home state custody jurisdiction when child relocated to Arizona, you should seriously consider contacting the attorneys at Hildebrand Law, PC. Our Arizona child custody and family law attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience successfully representing clients in child custody and family law cases.
Our family law firm has earned numerous awards such as US News and World Reports Best Arizona Family Law Firm, US News and World Report Best Divorce Attorneys, “Best of the Valley” by Arizona Foothills readers, and “Best Arizona Divorce Law Firms” by North Scottsdale Magazine.
Call us today at (480)305-8300 or reach out to us through our appointment scheduling form to schedule your personalized consultation and turn your child custody or family law case around today.
More Articles About Child Custody in Arizona
- ARIZONA CHILD CUSTODY LAWS
- DIVORCE AND GRANDPARENTS VISITATION RIGHTS IN ARIZONA
- CHANGING A CHILD’S LAST NAME IN ARIZONA
- PARENT INFORMATION PROGRAM CLASS IN ARIZONA
- GRANDPARENTS RIGHTS IN ARIZONA
- MOVING CHILDREN MANY TIMES IN ARIZONA
- PARENTAL ALIENATION IN ARIZONA
- JOINT CUSTODY AND SCHOOL DECISIONS IN ARIZONA
- DO COURTS FAVOR MOTHERS IN CUSTODY BATTLES IN ARIZONA
- ENFORCE VISITATION NON-CUSTODIAL PARENT IN ARIZONA
- DELEGATION OF CHILD CUSTODY DECISIONS TO AN EXPERT IN ARIZONA
- PRESUMPTION OF EQUAL PARENTING TIME IN ARIZONA
- HOW TO GET SOLE CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- HOW TO ENFORCE PARENTING TIME IN ARIZONA
- CO-PARENTING AFTER DIVORCE IN ARIZONA
- HOW TO CHANGE A CHILD’S LAST NAME IN ARIZONA
- GETTING EMERGENCY CHILD CUSTODY ORDERS IN ARIZONA
- HOW DO YOU MODIFY VISITATION OR PARENTING TIME IN ARIZONA
- WHAT VISITATION OR PARENTING TIME SCHEDULES DO JUDGES ORDER IN ARIZONA
- WHAT IS A CHILD CUSTODY EVALUATION IN ARIZONA
- PREPARE FOR A CHILD CUSTODY EVALUATION IN ARIZONA
- CAN A GRANDPARENT OR STEPPARENT BE AWARDED CUSTODY OF A CHILD IN AZ
- CONTESTING RELOCATION OF A CHILD WHEN YOU DO NOT LIVE IN ARIZONA
- WHO HAS CUSTODY OF CHILDREN WHEN A DIVORCE IS FILED IN ARIZONA
- WHAT ARE THE CHILD CUSTODY FACTORS IN ARIZONA
- WHAT IT JOINT LEGAL CUSTODY OR JOINT DECISION MAKING IN ARIZONA
- ARE MOTHERS FAVORED CHILD CUSTODY CASES IN ARIZONA
- WHAT IS A PARENTING COORDINATOR IN AN ARIZONA CHILD CUSTODY CASE
- CAN A PARENT WITH SOLE CUSTODY LIMIT ACCESS TO A CHILD’S MEDICAL RECORDS IN ARIZONA
- WHAT HAPPENS IF A PARENT WANTS TO MOVE OUT OF STATE WITH A CHILD IN ARIZONA
- PARENTING TIME AFTER LOSING AN ORDER OF PROTECTION HEARING IN ARIZONA
- WHO IS THE BEST CHILD CUSTODY LAWYER IN ARIZONA
- ARIZONA CHILD CUSTODY STATUTES
- ARIZONA UNIFORM CHILD CUSTODY JURISDICTION AND ENFORCEMENT ACT STATUTES
- TEMPORARY CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- ADOPTION ATTORNEYS IN ARIZONA
- RESTRICTIONS IN ARIZONA ON TAKING CHILDREN TO ANOTHER COUNTRY
- WITHHOLDING CHILD FROM CUSTODIAL PARENT IN ARIZONA
- AFFIDAVIT IN A CHILD CUSTODY CASE IN ARIZONA
- BEST INTEREST ATTORNEY IN ARIZONA
- LATE OBJECTION TO CHILD RELOCATION NOTICE IN ARIZONA
- RAISING ALLEGATIONS THAT WERE RAISED IN A PRIOR ARIZONA CHILD CUSTODY CASE
- TEMPORARY VISITATION ORDER FOR GRANDPARENTS IN ARIZONA
- WHEN THE CHILD RELOCATION STATUTE DOES NOT APPLY IN ARIZONA
- SIGNIFICANT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND SOLE CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- HOW TO CHOOSE A GUARDIAN FOR YOUR CHILD IN ARIZONA
- MULTI-STATE CHILD CUSTODY JURISDICTION IN ARIZONA
- SCHOOL CHOICE CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- TEMPORARY ORDERS FOR GRANDPARENTS VISITATION IN ARIZONA
- CAN A STEPPARENT BE HELD IN CONTEMPT IN ARIZONA
- UNAUTHORIZED RELOCATION OF CHILDREN IN ARIZONA
- GRANDPARENTS CANNOT PREVENT CHILD RELOCATION IN ARIZONA
- WHEN ARIZONA CHILD RELOCATION STATUTE IN ARIZONA DOES NOT APPLY
- ARIZONA CHILD RELOCATION LAWS
- INTERNATIONAL CHILD ABDUCTION IN ARIZONA
- UCCJEA CHILD CUSTODY JURISDICTION IN ARIZONA
- MENTAL HEALTH RECORDS IN CHILD CUSTODY CASES IN ARIZONA
- FAILING TO ALLEGE CHANGED CIRCUMSTANCES TO MODIFY CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- FALSE ALLEGATIONS OF CHILD ABUSE IN A CHILD CUSTODY CASE IN ARIZONA
- CHILD CUSTODY AND NARCISSISTIC A PARENT IN ARIZONA
- CHANGE CIRCUMSTANCES TO CHANGE CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF MUTUAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ON CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- PARENTING TIME WITH A NON-BIOLOGICAL CHILD IN ARIZONA
- DENIAL OF MORE TIME IN CHILD CUSTODY CASE IN ARIZONA
- WHEN A CHILD CUSTODY HEARING IS REQUIRED IN ARIZONA
- HOSTILITY BASIS TO MODIFY CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- MEANING OF HOME STATE IN ARIZONA
- USE OF THE UCCJEA IN DEPENDENCY CASES IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF DENIAL OF VISITATION ON CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENTS IN ARIZONA
- CUSTODY DECISIONS CANNOT BE DELEGATED TO AN EXPERT
- THIRD-PARTY AND EMERGENCY CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- STEPPARENT IN LOCO PARENTIS CHILD VISITATION IN ARIZONA
- STEPPARENTS CANNOT OBTAIN CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- BEST INTEREST STANDARD FOR THIRD-PARTY CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- TEMPORARY CHILD CUSTODY IN AN ARIZONA DIVORCE DECREE
- MODIFICATION OF CUSTODY AND CHILD ABDUCTION IN ARIZONA
- VISITATION RIGHTS AND IN LOCO PARENTIS STANDING IN ARIZONA
- HOW DIVORCE AFFECTS CHILDREN IN ARIZONA
- PARENTING PLANS COURTS USE IN ARIZONA
- PROTECTING CHILDREN FROM A HOSTILE PARENT IN ARIZONA
- SUITABLE NOTICE FOR CHILD CUSTODY HEARING IN ARIZONA
- HOW TO DEAL WITH A HOSTILE PARENT IN ARIZONA
- JURISDICTION OVER CHILD RESIDING OUTSIDE ARIZONA
- HABEAS CORPUS IN AN ARIZONA CHILD CUSTODY CASE
- NOTICE OF HEARING IN AN ARIZONA CHILD CUSTODY CASE
- STANDARD OF CARE TO REPORT CHILD ABUSE IN ARIZONA
- APPEALING DEPENDENCY ORDERS IN ARIZONA
- MODIFICATION OF PARENTING TIME CHANGE WHEN KIDS CHANGE SCHOOLS
- STANDARD FOR TERMINATION OF PARENTAL RIGHTS IN ARIZONA
- A MINOR’S RIGHT TO BE HEARD IN A CHILD CUSTODY CASE IN ARIZONA
- CAN THE COURT APPOINT A GUARDIAN FOR A CHILD IN ARIZONA
- EXCLUDING TESTIMONY IN A CHILD CUSTODY CASE IN ARIZONA
- SUPERVISED PARENTING TIME IN ARIZONA
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND PARENTING TIME IN ARIZONA
- JURISDICTION FOR A DEPENDENCY CASE IN ARIZONA
- CHANGING A CHILD’S LAST NAME IN ARIZONA
- SAME-SEX MARRIAGE AND CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- JURISDICTION TO PETITION FOR VISITATION IN ARIZONA
- NO ALCOHOL DURING PARENTING TIME IN ARIZONA
- FAILING TO APPEAR FOR CHILD CUSTODY HEARING IN ARIZONA
- ONE SPOUSE ADOPTS A CHILD IN ARIZONA
- BASICS OF CHILD ABUSE IN ARIZONA
- CHILD ABUSE AND CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- FATHERS RIGHTS IN ARIZONA
- PREPARE FOR A CHILD CUSTODY CASE IN ARIZONA
- CO-PARENTING WITH YOUR EX IN ARIZONA
- PETITION TO MODIFY CHILD SUPPORT AND SOLE CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- DUE PROCESS IN A CHILD CUSTODY HEARING IN ARIZONA
- SOLE LEGAL CUSTODY OVER MEDICAL DECISIONS FOR A CHILD IN ARIZONA
- THIRD-PARTY VISITATION WITH A CHILD IN ARIZONA
- RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL IN ARIZONA
- FINAL DECISION-MAKING AUTHORITY OVER A CHILD IN ARIZONA
- CAN A BEST INTEREST ATTORNEY TESTIFY AT TRIAL IN ARIZONA
- MODIFY A SUPERVISED VISITATION ORDER IN ARIZONA
- CALCULATING DISTANCE FOR A CHILD RELOCATION IN ARIZONA
- DISMISSING PETITION TO MODIFY CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA
- WHAT IS A THERAPEUTIC INTERVENTIONIST IN ARIZONA
- WHAT HAPPENS TO EMBRYOS IN A DIVORCE IN ARIZONA
- CHANGE CHILD CUSTODY IN ARIZONA WHEN PARENT MOVES AWAY
- IMPORTANCE OF MEDIATING A CHILD CUSTODY CASE IN ARIZONA
- CHILD CUSTODY AND CRIMINAL RECORDS IN ARIZONA
- HOW TO PREPARE FOR A CHILD CUSTODY HEARING IN ARIZONA
- WHEN FINDINGS OF FACT ARE NOT REQUIRED AFTER A CHILD CUSTODY TRIAL IN ARIZONA
- COURT APPOINTED CHILD THERAPIST IN ARIZONA
- CAN VISITATION WITH A CHILD BE REDUCED WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE IN ARIZONA
- CHILDREN WITNESSING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN ARIZONA
- CHANGE IN CIRCUMSTANCES FOR A CHILD CUSTODY MODIFICATION IN ARIZONA
- HEARING TO DECLINE CHILD CUSTODY JURISDICTION IN ARIZONA
- CUSTODY OF A CHILD IN AN ARIZONA DEPENDENCY CASE
- LATE DISCLOSURE IN AZ CHILD CUSTODY CASE
- EMERGENCY CHILD CUSTODY WHEN ARIZONA LACKS JURISDICTION
- HOW TO REGISTER A CHILD CUSTODY ORDER IN ARIZONA
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PRESUMPTION IN ARIZONA CHILD CUSTODY CASES
- EFFECT OF CORONAVIRUS ON CHILD CUSTODY AND VISITATION ORDERS
Chris Hildebrand wrote the information on this page about home state custody jurisdiction when a child is relocated to Arizona to ensure everyone has access to information about child custody laws in Arizona. Chris is a family law attorney at Hildebrand Law, PC. He has over 24 years of Arizona family law experience and has received multiple awards, including US News and World Report “Top Arizona Divorce Attorneys”, Phoenix Magazine “Top Divorce Law Firms”, and Arizona Foothills Magazine “Best of the Valley” award. He believes the policies and procedures he uses to get his clients through a child custody case should all be guided by the principles of honesty, integrity, and actually caring about what his clients are going through.