Child Support Obligations of a Minor in Arizona
In Arizona, each parent has the legal obligation to provide financial assistance for their children. Does this apply to a boy who fathers a child when he is only 13? In State v. Anonymous, 768 P. 2d 174 (1988) the Arizona Court of Appeals considered the issue.
Facts and Procedure
A 16-year-old girl and a 13-year-old boy had a sexual relationship, and the girl became pregnant. She gave birth to a child. The Pima County Child Support Services sought an order requiring the boy to provide support for his child. The lower court granted that request. The boy appeals.
Minority and Paternity
The boy argues that the duty of support does not apply to him. Although he is the father of the child, he is legally a child himself. The Court reviewed the language of the statute, A.R.S. § 12-849(A).
That law provides that a natural parent in Arizona is liable for the financial support of his child. The Court noted that the boy had not cited any authority that an underage father is relieved of that obligation. The Court found that the language of A.R.S. § 12-850 supports the view that a minor is responsible for his child.
It reads: The parent or parents having custody or control of the putative mother or father may be joined as defendants in the action if the alleged mother or father is a minor or was a minor at the time the action was commenced. Such parents may be held jointly and severally liable with such minor. However, the liability of such parents shall be limited to an amount not to exceed two thousand five hundred dollars.
The Court of Appeals found the legislative purpose to be clear from this statute. The duty of financial child support in Arizona is for the benefit of the helpless newborn child. It is not to punish the parent.
The Court of Appeals affirmed the ruling that the 13-year-old had a legal duty to support his child.
If you have questions about child support obligations of a minor in an Arizona divorce case, you should seriously consider contacting the attorneys at Hildebrand Law, PC. Our Arizona child support and family law attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience successfully representing clients in child support and family law cases.
Our family law firm has earned numerous awards such as US News and World Reports Best Arizona Family Law Firm, US News and World Report Best Divorce Attorneys, “Best of the Valley” by Arizona Foothills readers, and “Best Arizona Divorce Law Firms” by North Scottsdale Magazine.
Call us today at (480)305-8300 or reach out to us through our appointment scheduling form to schedule your personalized consultation and turn your Arizona child support or family law case around today.
Other Articles About Child Support in Arizona
- Arizona Child Support Laws
- Arizona Child Support Calculator
- Arizona Uniform Interstate Family Support Act Statutes
- Arizona Child Support
- Back Child Support in Arizona
- Calculating Income for Child Support in Arizona
- Child Support and an Unemployed Parent in Arizona
- Child Support Enforcement in Arizona
- Domesticate Child Support Order in Arizona
- How is Child Support Calculated in Arizona
- How is Income Calculated for Child Support in Arizona
- How to Enforce a Child Support Order in Arizona
- How To Enforce Child Support in Arizona
- How to Make Child Support Payments in Arizona
- How to Modify Child Support Order in Arizona
- Modification of Child Support in Arizona
- Modify or Enforce Other State Support Order in Arizona
- Prescott Arizona Modification of Child Support
- Registering Support Order From Another State In Arizona
- The Standard Procedure to Modify Child Support in Arizona
- What is a Wage Assignment in Arizona
- What Is Considered Gross Income for Arizona Child Support in Arizona
- What is Included in an Arizona Child Support Order
- When Does Child Support End in Arizona
- Modification of Child Support When Neither Parent Lives in Arizona
Chris Hildebrand wrote the information on this page about the obligations of a minor for child support in Arizona to ensure everyone has access to information about family law in Arizona. Chris is a divorce and family law attorney at Hildebrand Law, PC. He has over 24 years of Arizona family law experience and has received multiple awards, including US News and World Report “Top Arizona Divorce Attorneys”, Phoenix Magazine “Top Divorce Law Firms”, and Arizona Foothills Magazine “Best of the Valley” award. He believes the policies and procedures he uses to get his clients through a divorce should all be guided by the principles of honesty, integrity, and, quite frankly, actually caring about what his clients are going through in a divorce or family law case. In short, his practice is defined by the success of his clients. He also manages all of the other attorneys at his firm to make sure the outcomes in their clients’ cases are successful as well.
SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION TODAY!PLEASE COMPLETE OUR NEW CLIENT INTAKE FORM TO SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION TODAY!
As Seen on CBS News, ABC News, NBC News, and Fox News