Effect of Length of Marriage on Alimony in Arizona
Some people ask us how long do you have to be married to get alimony in Arizona.
The impact may affect both the amount of alimony awarded, as well as the number of years alimony will be paid.
Most Arizona judges consider marriages of less than ten years to be marriages of short duration.
A short duration marriage may result in a smaller amount or shorter duration of a spousal maintenance award.
Most Arizona judges consider a marriage lasting between ten to fifteen years to be marriages of moderate duration, which may justify a larger award of alimony for a greater length of time.
Marriages that are fifteen years or longer are considered by most judges to be marriages in the “moderate to long-term” or long-term depending upon how long the marriage was when the divorce was filed.
Long-term marriages may result in larger awards of alimony for more extended periods of time and, in some cases, may be considered for an indefinite award of alimony.
However, most judges will not require the paying spouse to work beyond a reasonable retirement age, so even indefinite awards may be terminated at a reasonable retirement age, depending on the circumstances.
If you have questions about how long you have to be married to get alimony in Arizona, you should seriously consider contacting the attorneys at Hildebrand Law, PC. Our Arizona spousal maintenance and family law attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience successfully representing clients in spousal maintenance and family law cases.
Our family law firm has earned numerous awards such as US News and World Reports Best Arizona Family Law Firm, US News and World Report Best Divorce Attorneys, “Best of the Valley” by Arizona Foothills readers, and “Best Arizona Divorce Law Firms” by North Scottsdale Magazine.
Call us today at (480)305-8300 or reach out to us through our appointment scheduling form to schedule your personalized consultation and turn your spousal maintenance or family law case around today.
Other Articles About Spousal Maintenance in Arizona
- RULES FOR INDEFINITE OR LIFETIME SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- ARIZONA ALIMONY AND SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE LAWS
- ATTRIBUTING INCOME FOR SPOUSAL SUPPORT IN ARIZONA
- WHO QUALIFIES FOR SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- TERMINATION OF ALIMONY UPON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF MERGER ON MODIFICATION OF ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF CDRP PAY ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- MILITARY DISABILITY AND ARIZONA ALIMONY
- VA DISABILITY BENEFITS AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- AMBIGUOUS ALIMONY TERMS IN AN ARIZONA DIVORCE DECREE
- CIRCUMSTANCES TO MODIFY ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHAT DOCTORS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF EXCESSIVE SPENDING ON A CLAIM FOR ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WAIVING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN A PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT IN ARIZONA
- ALIMONY AND OVERTIME IN ARIZONA
- CREDIT FOR DIRECT PAYMENTS OF SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- WAIVER OF SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- THE DATE COURTS USE FOR A CHANGE IN CIRCUMSTANCES TO MODIFY ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHEN DOES SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE TERMINATE ON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA
- DEFENSES TO NON-MODIFIABLE SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- CATEGORIES OF ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- NOT SUPPORTING YOURSELF WILL NOT EXTEND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF SHARING LIVING EXPENSES ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- ALIMONY IN ARIZONA FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- ARE THE COSTS OF HEALTH INSURANCE CONSIDERED FOR ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- ARIZONA SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES
- CAN YOU MODIFY OR TERMINATE ALIMONY EARLY IN ARIZONA
- CONTINUING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE AFTER DEATH OF A FORMER SPOUSE IN ARIZONA
- DENIAL OF SPOUSAL SUPPORT AS A SANCTION IN AN ARIZONA DIVORCE
- EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- HOW DO THE ARIZONA SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES WORK
- IS ALIMONY IN ARIZONA TAXABLE INCOME
- LIVING TOGETHER AND SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- MODIFYING NON-MODIFIABLE ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- NON-MODIFIABLE SPOUSAL SUPPORT IN ARIZONA
- PROBLEMS WITH ARIZONA ALIMONY CALCULATORS
- STANDARD OF LIVING AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- STOP SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE PAYMENTS IN ARIZONA
- TERMINATE ALIMONY UPON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA
- VETERANS DISABILITY AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHAT EFFECT DO CHILDREN’S COLLEGE COSTS HAVE ON ALIMONY ARIZONA
- DOCTORS FACING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE ISSUES IN ARIZONA