Terminate Alimony Upon Remarriage in Arizona
Termination of Alimony on Remarriage in Arizona
If you are wondering does alimony terminates upon remarriage in Arizona, the answer depends upon your specific circumstances.
The applicable statute provides that alimony in Arizona automatically terminates upon the death of either party or the remarriage of the spouse receiving the alimony.
However, you may reach a written agreement expressly providing that alimony in Arizona will not terminate upon either the death of the person paying spousal maintenance or the remarriage of the spouse receiving the alimony.
The Arizona Court of Appeals in the case of Palmer v. Palmer addressed whether an agreement for alimony to be non-modifiable prevented the paying spouse from terminating maintenance early because the receiving spouse remarried.
The wife in the Palmer case argued that the language making the alimony non-modifiable and the omission of language stating alimony would terminate upon remarriage established the parties intended the maintenance to continue even if she remarried.
The Arizona Court of Appeals disagreed and found that omission of language in an alimony order that the alimony will terminate upon remarriage does not meet the requirement that the parties intended to continue maintenance.
This is true, even upon remarriage, be “expressly” stated in the support order; otherwise, it terminates upon remarriage of the receiving spouse or the death of either party.
An Arizona judge will look to the laws of the state where your former spouse resides to determine if he or she has remarried.
This becomes a very interesting issue in common law states where a person can be deemed to have a common-law marriage with his or her significant other even though a marriage certificate has never been issued and a formal wedding ceremony has not occurred.
Most common law states require the couple to hold themselves out as a couple and may also look at how they manage their finances as either a couple of completely separate.
Judgment for Alimony Paid After Remarriage Occurs
are times when the spouse receiving the alimony fails to inform their former spouse they have gotten remarried.
Sometimes, this is done for the sole purpose of continuing to receive alimony from his or her former spouse while still enjoying the benefits of their remarriage. When this happens, you need to speak to a qualified attorney.
You have legal remedies to both stop any wage assignments for alimony, but also recover the alimony payments you have been making while your former spouse was remarried.
Judges are not very happy with people who continue to collect spousal maintenance payments even after they remarried without telling their former spouse.
It is possible the court may also order your former spouse to pay your attorney fees in getting the alimony paid back to you.
If you have questions about if alimony terminates upon remarriage in Arizona, you should seriously consider contacting the attorneys at Hildebrand Law, PC. Our Arizona spousal maintenance and family law attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience successfully representing clients in spousal maintenance and family law cases.
Our family law firm has earned numerous awards such as US News and World Reports Best Arizona Family Law Firm, US News and World Report Best Divorce Attorneys, “Best of the Valley” by Arizona Foothills readers, and “Best Arizona Divorce Law Firms” by North Scottsdale Magazine.
Call us today at (480)305-8300 or reach out to us through our appointment scheduling form to schedule your personalized consultation and turn your spousal maintenance or family law case around today.
Other Articles About Spousal Maintenance in Arizona
- RULES FOR INDEFINITE OR LIFETIME SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- ARIZONA ALIMONY AND SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE LAWS
- ATTRIBUTING INCOME FOR SPOUSAL SUPPORT IN ARIZONA
- WHO QUALIFIES FOR SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- TERMINATION OF ALIMONY UPON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF MERGER ON MODIFICATION OF ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF CDRP PAY ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- MILITARY DISABILITY AND ARIZONA ALIMONY
- VA DISABILITY BENEFITS AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- AMBIGUOUS ALIMONY TERMS IN AN ARIZONA DIVORCE DECREE
- CIRCUMSTANCES TO MODIFY ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHAT DOCTORS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF EXCESSIVE SPENDING ON A CLAIM FOR ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WAIVING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN A PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT IN ARIZONA
- ALIMONY AND OVERTIME IN ARIZONA
- CREDIT FOR DIRECT PAYMENTS OF SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- WAIVER OF SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- THE DATE COURTS USE FOR A CHANGE IN CIRCUMSTANCES TO MODIFY ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHEN DOES SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE TERMINATE ON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA
- DEFENSES TO NON-MODIFIABLE SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- CATEGORIES OF ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- NOT SUPPORTING YOURSELF WILL NOT EXTEND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF SHARING LIVING EXPENSES ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- ALIMONY IN ARIZONA FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- ARE THE COSTS OF HEALTH INSURANCE CONSIDERED FOR ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- ARIZONA SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES
- CAN YOU MODIFY OR TERMINATE ALIMONY EARLY IN ARIZONA
- CONTINUING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE AFTER DEATH OF A FORMER SPOUSE IN ARIZONA
- DENIAL OF SPOUSAL SUPPORT AS A SANCTION IN AN ARIZONA DIVORCE
- EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- HOW DO THE ARIZONA SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES WORK
- HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO BE MARRIED TO GET ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- IS ALIMONY IN ARIZONA TAXABLE INCOME
- LIVING TOGETHER AND SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- MODIFYING NON-MODIFIABLE ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- NON-MODIFIABLE SPOUSAL SUPPORT IN ARIZONA
- PROBLEMS WITH ARIZONA ALIMONY CALCULATORS
- STANDARD OF LIVING AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- STOP SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE PAYMENTS IN ARIZONA
- VETERANS DISABILITY AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHAT EFFECT DO CHILDREN’S COLLEGE COSTS HAVE ON ALIMONY ARIZONA
- DOCTORS FACING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE ISSUES IN ARIZONA