Cost of Health Insurance and Alimony in Arizona
Yes, the cost of health insurance is considered for alimony in Arizona. However, this does not mean your spouse will have to pay your health insurance premium every month as a part of an award of alimony in Arizona.
In an Arizona divorce, the Court must consider the cost of obtaining health insurance for the spouse seeking alimony in Arizona.
The court must also consider the cost of health insurance of the spouse who is no longer providing or paying for health insurance for the other spouse.
In many cases, this will not represent a significant factor to the Court because the costs of health insurance are not typically the largest of the living expenses a person may incur.
However, there are situations where health insurance costs can be significantly high when, for example, someone is older or has a preexisting medical condition.
Cost of Health Insurance, Alimony, and Serious Preexisting Medical Conditions
This situation would occur If the paying spouse has an employer group health plan and that plan allows both spouses to remain on the health insurance plan if the parties are legally separated and not divorced.
However, it is very important to check with your health insurance plan administrator to ensure they allow a legally separated spouse to continue health insurance coverage under the other spouse’s group health insurance plan.
We are seeing more and more health insurance companies who do not allow a spouse to stay on a group health insurance plan even when the spouses are legally separated and not divorced.
In either event, the law in Arizona still allows for an award of alimony in Arizona if the parties seek a legal separation instead of a divorce.
If you have questions about if the cost of health insurance is considered for alimony in Arizona, you should seriously consider contacting the attorneys at Hildebrand Law, PC. Our Arizona spousal maintenance and family law attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience successfully representing clients in spousal maintenance and family law cases.
Our family law firm has earned numerous awards such as US News and World Reports Best Arizona Family Law Firm, US News and World Report Best Divorce Attorneys, “Best of the Valley” by Arizona Foothills readers, and “Best Arizona Divorce Law Firms” by North Scottsdale Magazine.
Call us today at (480)305-8300 or reach out to us through our appointment scheduling form to schedule your personalized consultation and turn your spousal maintenance or family law case around today.
Other Articles About Spousal Maintenance in Arizona
- RULES FOR INDEFINITE OR LIFETIME SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- ARIZONA ALIMONY AND SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE LAWS
- ATTRIBUTING INCOME FOR SPOUSAL SUPPORT IN ARIZONA
- WHO QUALIFIES FOR SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- TERMINATION OF ALIMONY UPON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF MERGER ON MODIFICATION OF ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF CDRP PAY ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- MILITARY DISABILITY AND ARIZONA ALIMONY
- VA DISABILITY BENEFITS AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- AMBIGUOUS ALIMONY TERMS IN AN ARIZONA DIVORCE DECREE
- CIRCUMSTANCES TO MODIFY ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHAT DOCTORS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF EXCESSIVE SPENDING ON A CLAIM FOR ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WAIVING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN A PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT IN ARIZONA
- ALIMONY AND OVERTIME IN ARIZONA
- CREDIT FOR DIRECT PAYMENTS OF SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- WAIVER OF SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- THE DATE COURTS USE FOR A CHANGE IN CIRCUMSTANCES TO MODIFY ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHEN DOES SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE TERMINATE ON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA
- DEFENSES TO NON-MODIFIABLE SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- CATEGORIES OF ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- NOT SUPPORTING YOURSELF WILL NOT EXTEND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF SHARING LIVING EXPENSES ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- ALIMONY IN ARIZONA FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- ARIZONA SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES
- CAN YOU MODIFY OR TERMINATE ALIMONY EARLY IN ARIZONA
- CONTINUING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE AFTER DEATH OF A FORMER SPOUSE IN ARIZONA
- DENIAL OF SPOUSAL SUPPORT AS A SANCTION IN AN ARIZONA DIVORCE
- EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- HOW DO THE ARIZONA SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES WORK
- HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO BE MARRIED TO GET ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- IS ALIMONY IN ARIZONA TAXABLE INCOME
- LIVING TOGETHER AND SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- MODIFYING NON-MODIFIABLE ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- NON-MODIFIABLE SPOUSAL SUPPORT IN ARIZONA
- PROBLEMS WITH ARIZONA ALIMONY CALCULATORS
- STANDARD OF LIVING AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- STOP SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE PAYMENTS IN ARIZONA
- TERMINATE ALIMONY UPON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA
- VETERANS DISABILITY AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHAT EFFECT DO CHILDREN’S COLLEGE COSTS HAVE ON ALIMONY ARIZONA
- DOCTORS FACING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE ISSUES IN ARIZONA