How to Get Credit for Direct Payments of Family Support in Arizona
Most people are ordered to pay their child support and/or spousal maintenance through the Support Clearinghouse.
The Support Clearinghouse, likewise, keeps track of all of those payments to make it easier for courts to track whether a person has paid all of their support obligations or are in arrears on those payments.
Payments one spouse may give to the other spouse directly are not able to be tracked by the Support Clearinghouse resulting in the appearance someone is behind in paying their family support obligations.
The question becomes can you get credit for direct payments of a spousal maintenance obligation.
The Arizona Court of Appeals in the case of Schultz vs. Schultz addressed that issue.
In the Schulz case, Mr. Schulz paid most of his alimony to Ms. Schultz through the Support Clearinghouse.
However, he also made some direct payments to Ms. Schultz that did not go through the Support Clearinghouse.
Ms. Schulz argued that all payments Mr. Schultz paid her directly should not be considered spousal maintenance payments because they should be considered gifts to her.
The trial court ruled against Ms. Schultz and she appealed the case to the Arizona Court of Appeals.
Ms. Schultz relied upon a statute that prevents a court from allowing a credit for direct payments if there is no court order or written agreement providing that those payments are for spousal maintenance.
Mr. Schultz argued that another statute, ARS 25-510(G), allows a trial judge to give him “equitable credits” to apply for the direct payments against any unpaid alimony.
The Arizona Court of Appeals concluded the trial court may credit spousal maintenance payments made directly to Ms. Schultz as credits against the arrearages that appear in the Support Clearinghouse records.
So long as Mr. Schultz met his burden of proving those direct payments were for spousal maintenance, he will receive credit for those payments.
Accepting Direct Payments as a Waiver of Spousal Maintenance
The Court of Appeals rejected Ms. Schultz’ argument that another statute, ARS 46-441 only allows credits for direct spousal maintenance payments that were made by an agreement of the parties or an order of the court.
The Court of Appeals, instead, concluded that there are equitable defenses to the collection on unpaid alimony.
For example, Arizona recognizes a former spouse may waive payment of, among other things, spousal maintenance payments.
In this case, Mr. Schultz would have to prove by clear and convincing evidence that Ms. Schultz voluntarily and intentionally abandoned her claim for unpaid alimony.
In this case, Mr. Schulz had proof of all the checks he paid to Ms. Schulz and she accepted each of those payments without ever objecting to the direct payments.
The Court of Appeals agreed with the trial judge’s conclusion that Ms. Schultz waived her claims for unpaid spousal maintenance associated with the direct payments.
If you have questions about credit for direct payments of support in an Arizona divorce case, you should seriously consider contacting the attorneys at Hildebrand Law, PC. Our Arizona spousal maintenance and family law attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience successfully representing clients in spousal maintenance and family law cases.
Our family law firm has earned numerous awards such as US News and World Reports Best Arizona Family Law Firm, US News and World Report Best Divorce Attorneys, “Best of the Valley” by Arizona Foothills readers, and “Best Arizona Divorce Law Firms” by North Scottsdale Magazine.
Call us today at (480)305-8300 or reach out to us through our appointment scheduling form to schedule your personalized consultation and turn your Arizona spousal maintenance or family law case around today.
Other Articles About Spousal Maintenance in Arizona
- WHAT EFFECT DOES CHILDREN’S COLLEGE COSTS HAVE ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- VETERANS DISABILITY AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- NON-MODIFIABLE SPOUSAL SUPPORT IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- MODIFYING NON-MODIFIABLE ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- STOP SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE PAYMENTS IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- PROBLEMS WITH ARIZONA ALIMONY CALCULATORS | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- HOW DO THE ARIZONA SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES WORK
- LIVING TOGETHER AND SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW
- CAN YOU MODIFY OR TERMINATE ALIMONY EARLY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- ARE THE COSTS OF HEALTH INSURANCE CONSIDERED FOR ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- WHAT EFFECT DOES EXCESSIVE SPENDING HAVE ON A CLAIM FOR ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- STANDARD OF LIVING AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC.
- ARIZONA SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- TERMINATE ALIMONY UPON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- IS ALIMONY IN ARIZONA TAXABLE INCOME | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO BE MARRIED TO GET ALIMONY IN ARIZONA
- DENIAL OF SPOUSAL SUPPORT AS A SANCTION IN AN ARIZONA DIVORCE | HILDEBRAND LAW
- CONTINUING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE AFTER THE DEATH OF A FORMER SPOUSE IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF MERGER ON MODIFICATION OF ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- THE EFFECT OF THE 2017 TAX BILL ON DIVORCE IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- EFFECT OF CDRP PAY ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- TERMINATION OF ALIMONY ON REMARRIAGE IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- MILITARY DISABILITY AND ARIZONA ALIMONY | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- VA DISABILITY BENEFITS PAID FOR ALIMONY IN AZ | HILDEBRAND LAW
- STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS ON ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- AMBIGUOUS ALIMONY TERMS IN AN AZ DIVORCE | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- CIRCUMSTANCES TO MODIFY ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- NOT SUPPORTING YOURSELF WILL NOT EXTEND ALIMONY IN AZ | HILDEBRAND LAW
- WAIVING SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN A PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT IN ARIZONA
- EFFECT OF SHARING LIVING EXPENSES ON ALIMONY IN AZ | HILDEBRAND LAW
- DIVISION OF PROPERTY AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- ALIMONY AGREEMENT MAY AFFECT MODIFICATION IN AZ | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- CATEGORIES OF ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- DEFENSES TO NON-MODIFIABLE SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA
- WHEN DOES ALIMONY TERMINATE ON REMARRIAGE IN AZ | HILDEBRAND LAW
- DATE FOR CHANGE IN CIRCUMSTANCES TO MODIFY AZ ALIMONY | HILDEBRAND LAW
- WAIVER OF SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- OVERTIME AND ALIMONY IN ARIZONA | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
- ATTRIBUTING INCOME FOR SPOUSAL SUPPORT IN ARIZONA
- ALIMONY AND SPOUSAL MAINTENANCE LAWS IN AZ | HILDEBRAND LAW, PC
SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION TODAY!PLEASE COMPLETE OUR NEW CLIENT INTAKE FORM TO SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION TODAY!
Chris Hildebrand wrote the information on this page about direct payment of spousal maintenance to ensure everyone has access to information about spousal maintenance payments in Arizona. Chris is a divorce and spousal maintenance attorney at Hildebrand Law, PC. He has over 24 years of Arizona family law experience and has received multiple awards, including US News and World Report “Top Arizona Divorce Attorneys”, Phoenix Magazine “Top Divorce Law Firms”, and Arizona Foothills Magazine “Best of the Valley” award. He believes the policies and procedures he uses to get his clients through a divorce should all be guided by the principles of honesty, integrity, and actually caring about what his clients are going through in a spousal maintenance or divorce case.