How to Get and Order of Protection in Arizona

Too often, cases of domestic violence result in physical and emotional damage to parents and their children. In many cases, the escalation is slow. The level of violence built up at a rate that left the spouse who is being victimized or witnessing the victimization of their own children unsure when enough is enough; when the situation has gone from less than desirable to dangerous. In other situations, there seemed to be no escalation at all. It may seem as if from one day to the next, the situation changed so drastically that there was no time to prepare. If you fear that you and/or your children may be in a dangerous home situation, you might need to consider an order of protection.

How to Get and Order of Protection in Arizona | What You Need to Do

How Do I Get an Order of Protection in Arizona? First of all, it’s imperative that you always call 911 in the case of an emergency. The Order of Protection can be put in place to protect from future acts of domestic violence, but if you are currently in a dangerous situation, the very first step is to call for immediate assistance from the local police. If your spouse or significant other has committed an act of domestic violence, you may apply for an Order of Protection. Your Arizona family law attorney can help you ensure that the proper forms are completed and submitted to the court in a timely manner. You will see the judicial officer the same day that the Petition for Order of Protection is filed.

You may apply for an Order of Protection if…

The defendant listed is:

Your spouse or ex-spouse.
Your roommate or ex-roommate.
The father or mother of your child.
Someone you are or were romantically involved with (romantically or sexually).
A parent, grandparent, sibling, child or grandchild.
Your spouse’s child, grandchild, sibling, parent or grandparent.

The defendant committed or is going to commit any of the following:

A dangerous crime against a child: second degree murder, aggravated assault (resulting in a serious injury or involving a deadly weapon/dangerous instrument), sexual assault, molestation/sexual conduct with a minor, sexual exploitation of a minor, child abuse, kidnapping, sexual abuse of a minor, child prostitution, or involving/using minors in a drug offense.

Any of the following acts where the defendant:

Kidnaps/Unlawfully Imprisons
Interferes Unlawfully with Custody of a Child
Criminally Trespasses/Damages; Disorderly Conduct/Stalks
Abuses a Child/Vulnerable Adult
Interferes w/Judicial Proceedings
Uses a telephone to Terrify, Intimidate, Threaten, Harass, Annoy or Offend

If you need to seek an Order of Protection, contact your family law attorney from a safe location. Your attorney will need information regarding your frequent locations (work, school, home, etc.) that you wish to have included in the order of protection, as well as dates the incidents occurred and police reports (if available). If you need to include minor children in the Order of Protection, you will need to provide your attorney with their birth dates, and social security numbers.