Family Lawyer Arizona

What You Need to Know About Changing Child Support Orders

If you have an existing child support agreement and you’d like to have it changed, you may need a family lawyer Arizona parents trust on your side. There are many situations that can leave you to wanting your child support agreement changed. Fortunately, you can go about this in one of two different ways, both of which a Phoenix family lawyer at Hildebrand Law may be able to help with.

We hope you find the below information helpful in deciding what you’d like to do about your child support. When you’re ready to move forward with a decision, give a family lawyer in Arizona a call at 480-305-8300 today.

Agreeing to Modify the Support Agreement

Your family lawyer Arizona offers may tell you to first try and work with your ex to come to some agreement for your children. In some cases, this isn’t an option, but it is something that your lawyer may ask you about.
Family Lawyer Arizona
Once you and the other parent agree on an amount and the terms, you may want to go before a judge and ask them to approve of the changes to protect yourself moving forward. This should be a really simple process unless the amount is below state guidelines, which will require you to explain why that amount makes sense for you and your children.

Asking the Court to Modify the Support Agreement

If working with your ex to agree on new terms for child support isn’t an option or doesn’t work out, you have to ask for a court hearing. In this hearing, you and your ex may both need to argue in favor of the amount you each think is appropriate and why.

Your family lawyer Arizona respects may help you build your argument as to why the agreement should be modified. In most cases, you have to show how your situation (or your ex’s) has changed since the court made the order.

Depending on the reasoning behind the change, the court may rule for a temporary or permanent modification. A temporary modification may occur if:

  • There is a medical emergency with the child
  • You are temporarily unable to pay the specified amount in full
  • The recipient parent has a temporary medical or financial hardship

A permanent modification order may be made if:

  • Either parent changes or loses a job resulting in a drastic change in income
  • Either parent gets remarried and their household income increases drastically
  • The cost of living increases significantly
  • One of the parents become disabled
  • The child’s expenses and needs change dramatically
  • Child support laws change

Your family lawyer Arizona relies on may warn you that a permanent change may remain until you no longer have to pay child support or until the order is modified again at a later date.

As you can see, modifying an existing child support ruling can be a bit of a process, but it is necessary in some cases. Call a family lawyer Arizona residents would recommend from Hildebrand Law at 480-305-8300 today.