How Can I Enforce an Order for the Division of Property and Debt in Arizona?

Whether you reached a Property Settlement Agreement providing for the division of your debts and assets or the court made those decision dividing your debts and assets, you may be faced with the problem of enforcing those orders if your former spouse is refusing to cooperate.

How Can I Enforce an Order for the Division of Property and Debt in Arizona?

How Can I Enforce an Order for the Division of Property and Debt in Arizona?

You have several options regarding enforcement of an order requiring your former spouse to return the property to you after a divorce in Arizona. You may, in certain circumstances, file a Petition for Contempt seeking the contempt powers of the court to persuade your former spouse to comply with the division of property orders.

If the court finds your former spouse has willfully and intentionally violated the court’s orders and had the ability to comply with those orders, the judge may issue a ruling finding your former spouse in contempt of the court. The court can order him or her to pay your attorney fees, and can even order him or her to be incarcerated until such time he or she complies with the orders.

Alternatively, you may file a Writ of Special Execution, which enables you to use the sheriff’s office to physically go into the location where the property is located to return that property to you.

There are some limitations, however, to what a court can do to enforce a property settlement agreement in Arizona. For example, some judges may order one spouse to pay the other spouse an equalization payment if the physical division of assets is not fair or equitable. The order requiring the remittance of an equalization payment may not be enforced by contempt proceedings, based upon the Arizona Supreme Court’s ruling in the Proffit v. Proffit case.

The Proffit v Proffit Decision

Another problem occurs when a spouse damages the property before turning it over to the other spouse. In such cases, the Arizona divorce court would be able to hold that party in contempt of court for violating the Preliminary Injunction, which is issued at the beginning of the case and precludes, among other things, either party intentionally causing damage to property during the divorce.

The Arizona Supreme Court in the Weaver v. Weaver case concluded, for example, an Arizona court lacks the statutory authority to order one spouse to pay the other spouse for damage done to his or her separate property. In such a case, a separate civil lawsuit would need to be filed to obtain a judgment for the damaged property.

Contact Our Scottsdale Arizona Community Property Attorneys

Call us at (480)947-4339 to schedule a consultation with one of our Scottsdale and Phoenix Arizona Community Property Attorneys regarding Arizona community property laws or any other Arizona family law matter.