How Can I Enforce Child Support Payments in Arizona

Learn How to Enforce Child Support in Arizona from Our Licensed Arizona Child Support Attorney Chris Hildebrand of Hildebrand Law, PC.

U.S. News and World Report Best Divorce and Family Law Firms in ArizonaEnforce Child Support Payments in Arizona

Many parents ask how can I enforce child support payments in Arizona. When your ex-spouse is not paying child support there are various options that you may want to consider.

In general, you can choose to retain a family lawyer who can handle everything for you in a timely manner, or ask the county attorney to help.

Usually, the county attorney will serve your ex-spouse with papers.

In these documents are legal instructions that ask the non-payee to meet with him or her to arrange for child support payments.

When the instructions are not adhered to, your ex-spouse could face fines and jail time.

Learn How You Can Enforce Child Support Payments in Arizona.

Ways to Enforce Child Support in Arizona

Unfortunately, a jail sentence can be counterproductive because now your ex-spouse won’t be able to work and earn money.

This could result in you not getting the child support payments you’re seeking.

A family lawyer may carry out similar measures or may discuss alternative options that are better suited to your needs.  

Apart from jail time, there are other consequences that could be ordered by a judge. These may include:

  • Garnishing job wages
  • Seizure of any property or assets
  • Withholding Federal tax refunds
  • Suspension of a professional license
  • Suspension of a license to do business
  • Revocation of a driver’s license

How To Enforce Child Support in Arizona.

When a parent owes more than $2,500 in child support payments, it is possible for the U.S. Department of State to deny a U.S. Passport to the applicant.

If any of these consequences are invoked and your ex-spouse does not pay for child support, a judge might hold him or her in contempt.

This would likely result in large fines and jail time; however, a judge is often reluctant to impose these things because it could have a domino-like effect on the entire situation.

We understand how frustrating this kind of situation is for a parent who is seeking child support from the other parent of the child, yet is unable to.

If you’re not receiving child support payments, it’s best to speak with a family lawyer about your options.  

Even if your ex-spouse has moved out of state, it will likely be possible to enforce child support.

A family lawyer might advise you of options that include:

  • If the state that ordered the child support payments still has personal jurisdiction over the delinquent payee, a lawyer may be able to ask the court to legally enforce the order.
  • If the state no longer has personal jurisdiction, it may be possible to forward the order to the new state in which your ex-spouse lives.
  • You may be able to go to the new state and file an order of enforcement. A lawyer may also be able to do this for you.
  • You may contact your ex-spouse’s employer and notify them of the delinquent payments. The employer may then garnish their wages.

If you have questions about how you can enforce child support payments in Arizona, you should seriously consider contacting the attorneys at Hildebrand Law, PC. Our Arizona child support and family law attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience successfully representing clients in child support and family law cases.

Our family law firm has earned numerous awards such as US News and World Reports Best Arizona Family Law Firm, US News and World Report Best Divorce Attorneys, “Best of the Valley” by Arizona Foothills readers, and “Best Arizona Divorce Law Firms” by North Scottsdale Magazine.

Call us today at (480)305-8300 or reach out to us through our appointment scheduling form to schedule your personalized consultation and turn your child support or family law case around today.

Arizona Family Law Attorneys in Scottsdale and Tucson Arizona

Scottsdale Arizona Office Location of Hildebrand Law, PC.Tucson Arizona Office Location of Hildebrand Law, PC.

Other Articles About Child Support in Arizona


Chris Hildebrand

Chris Hildebrand

Chris Hildebrand wrote the information on this page about enforcing child support orders in Arizona to ensure everyone has access to information about child support laws in Arizona. Chris is a family law attorney at Hildebrand Law, PC. He has over 24 years of Arizona family law experience and has received multiple awards, including US News and World Report “Top Arizona Divorce Attorneys”, Phoenix Magazine “Top Divorce Law Firms”, and Arizona Foothills Magazine “Best of the Valley” award. He believes the policies and procedures he uses to get his clients through a child support case should all be guided by the principles of honesty, integrity, and actually caring about what his clients are going through.